I am an assistant professor with the department of Computer Engineering at Sharif University of Technology. I obtained my B.E. in Electrical Engineering from the City College of New York in 1999, and my M.S. and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, New York, in 2002 and 2006 respectively. Before joining Sharif University I was at at&t labs. My current research interests are in computer and system security and I am currently the Director of S4 Lab.
Student Supervision: I am always looking for motivated students with a strong background to work with. If you are interested drop me an email. For PhD, students from the Software group are mainly considered for supervision, but students from other groups could potentially be accepted as well, for MS and BS, students from all groups are considered.
Recommendation Letter: I get asked a lot if I am willing to write a recommendation letter. Please read this before asking me to write you one!
Quick Links: Projects Courses Publications Talks
Projects:Partov (Portable and Reliable Tool fOr Virtualization) is a network simulation and virtualization system, employed as a teaching tool for the computer networks course.
Courses:CE 40-424 Operating Systems  [F96] [F97]
CE 40-442 Data and Network Security [F90Kish]  [S96]  [F96] [F97]
CE 40-443 Computer Networks [F87]              [S94]    [S96]   [S97]
CE 40-817 Advanced Network Security [F87]  [S88]  [S89]  [S90]   [F90Kish]   [S91]        [F94]
CE 40-693 Advanced Computer Networks [F88]  [F89]   [F90]   [F91]
CE 40-416 Computer Networks Lab [F89]  [S90]  [F90]   [S91]
- LDMBL: An Architecture for Reducing Code Duplication in Heavy Weight Binary Instrumentations, B. Momeni, M. Kharrazi, Software: Practice and Experience, 2016.
- Partov: A Network Simulation and Emulation Tool, B. Momeni, M. Kharrazi, Journal of Simulation, 2016.
- Detection of Fast-Flux Botnets Through DNS Traffic Analysis, E. Soltanaghaei, M. Kharrazi, Scientia Iranica, Transactions D: Computer Science & Engineering and Electrical Engineering, 2015.
- A Composite-Metric Based Path Selection Technique for the Tor Anonymity Network, S. Momeni Milajerdi, M. Kharrazi, Journal of Systems and Software, 2015.
- Back to Static Analysis for Kernel-Level Rootkit Detection, S.A. Musavi, M. Kharrazi, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2014.
- Payload Attribution via Character Dependent Multi-Bloom Filters, M.H. Haghighat, M. Tavakoli, M. Kharrazi, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Volume 8, Issue 5, 2013.[BibTex]
- Improving Computer Networks Course Using the Partov Simulation Engine, B. Momeni, M. Kharrazi, IEEE Transactions on Education, Volume 55, Issue 3, August 2012.[BibTex]The partov source code is being released under GPLv3. If you are interested in obtaining the code, please contact me.
- Performance Study of Common Image Steganography and Steganalysis Techniques, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Volume 15, Issue 4, October-December 2006. [BibTex]
- Improving Steganalysis by Fusion Techniques: A Case Study with Image Based Steganography, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, LNCS Transactions on Data Hiding and Multimedia Security I, Volume 4300, 2006. [BibTex]
- Image Steganalysis with Binary Similarity Measures, I. Avcibas, M. Kharrazi, N. Memon, B. Sankur, EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2005, no. 17, 2005. [BibTex]
- Data Masking: A New Approach for Steganography?, R. Radhakrishnan, M. Kharrazi, N. Memon, The Journal of VLSI Signal Processing, Volume 41, Number 3, November 2005. [BibTex]
- Image Steganography: Concepts and Practice, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, Lecture Notes Series, Institute for Mathematical Sciences, National University of Singapore, 2004. [BibTex]
- An Anomaly-based Botnet Detection Approach for Identifying Stealthy Botnets, S. Arshad, M. Abbaspour, M. Kharrazi, H. Sanatkar, International Conference on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics (ICCAIE), 2011.
- Passive Worm and Malware Detection in Peer-to-Peer Networks, S. Fahimian, A. Movahed, M. Kharrazi, IEEE/IFIP International Symposium on Trusted Computing and Communications (Trustcom10), 2010
- 2PLoc: Preserving Privacy in Location-Based Services, A. Salar Amoli, M. Kharrazi, R. Jalili, IEEE International Conference on Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust (PASSAT10), 2010
- Towards Real-Time Performance Monitoring for Encrypted Traffic, M. Kharrazi, S. Sen, O. Spatscheck, ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Internet Network Management (INM), 2007
- Cover Selection for Steganographic Embedding, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2006
- Improving Steganalysis by Fusion Techniques: A Case Study with Image Based Steganography, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, SPIE Symposium on Electronic Imaging, 2006
- Benchmarking steganographic and steganalysis techniques, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, SPIE Symposium on Electronic Imaging, 2005
- PSteg: steganographic embedding through patching, K. Petrowski, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2005
- Nabs: A System for Detecting Resource Abuses via Characterization of Flow Content Type, K. Shanmugasundaram, M. Kharrazi, N. Memon, Annual Computer Security Applications Conference, 2004
- Blind source camera identification, M. Kharrazi, H. T. Sencar, N. Memon, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2004
- Network Abuse Detection via Flow Content Characterization, M. Kharrazi, K. Shanmugasundaram, N. Memon, 5th Annual IEEE Information Assurance Workshop, 2004
- Image Steganography and Steganalysis: Concepts and Practice, R. Chandramouli, M. Kharrazi, N. Memon, International Workshop on Digital Watermarking, 2003
- ODISSEA: A Peer-to-Peer Architecture for Scalable Web Search and Information Retrieval, M. Kharrazi, T. Suel, A. Delis, et. al., Sixth International Workshop on Web and Databases (WebDB), 2003
Talks:Reviewing a few attacks on android, ISCISC 2014 [pdf]